Over the years I have seen many different “ideas” and fads come and go when it relates to Wedding receptions. The most recent of those fads has many area brides and grooms asking me something like this “How can my wedding be unique?”
Now the answer to this question could go in a number of different directions, from decorations, invitations, flowers, themes, colors, etc.. But for this article I am going to focus on one aspect: The First Dance for the Bride and Groom. I will expand on ideas to make your wedding reception stand out and this discussion will be one of many to help answer that question.
When doing a first dance it is this author’s opinion that this song needs to be a personal song with some meaning for the couple. Your first dance is going to be the one of the most important moments in the entire day, something that you are going to remember for the rest of your married life. It is not something to be taken lightly and this decision should be given some thought. To help give you some ideas here is a sort list of some of my favorite songs used for bride and grooms first dances.
- At Last - Etta James. This is one of those classic songs that never gets old and is one of my personal favorite songs.
- It Feels Like Home – Chantal Kervizuk. You may remember this song from the soundtracks of “How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days” and “The Notebook”
- Whatever it is – Zac Brown Band. This one many seem a little on the fast side for a slow first dance song, but if you know how to Two-Step this can be a great song to start your night with.
- Love of a Lifetime – Firehouse. Okay I know I am going receive a little flak for a song that can be looked at as cheesy. But, after you actually listen to the lyrics and the meaning behind them this is a sweet romantic song wrapped up in a 1990’s Metal “Power Ballad”
- Into the Mystic – Van Morrison. This is an old – school song that mostly everyone knows but doesn’t see much play in modern wedding receptions. It has a relaxing feel and it is hard not to start swaying in your chair when this song comes on.
- Anything by Keith Urban (Without You, Making Memories of Us etc)
- God Blessed the Broken Road – Rascal Flatts
- The Way You Look Tonight – Various Artists
- She’s Got a Way – Billie Joel
I hope these are some help. Some of these are not songs that you may hear at every single wedding reception you go to and thus help make your event Unique. Remember your first dance should be about your and your new Wife / Husband. Take your time and the perfect song will come to you!
Music In Motion Disc Jockeys
Saint Cloud Minnesota Area Manager